Friday, December 04, 2009

Don't Cry Over Spilled Eggs

I can't believe it has been so long since I last posted something.
This morning was my first volunteer shift at YEAH!.  YEAH! stands for Youth Engagement Advocacy and Housing.  The organization rents space from at Lutheran church in Berkeley and serves as a homeless shelter for youth ages 18-25 from November to May (or until the funds dry up).  The youth check in each night, get a hot dinner, a shower a place to sleep and a breakfast.  YEAH! also helps find permanent housing and other services for the youth at the shelter.  The capacity its 30-35 and they usually serve 150 different youth over the course of the year.

This morning at 5:45am, my friend Deb and I headed down to YEAH! to serve breakfast.  It was just the two of us so we got right to work figuring out our tasks for the morning.  We put out cereal, oatmeal, milk, juice, bread, muffins and fruit.  We made coffee in a coffee percolator that looked like it was easily 30 years old.  You know the kind with the glass knob on top so you can see the progress of the percolation?  Then we scrambled up about 3 dozen eggs.  I've never wisked that many eggs at one time!

The youth started to come in, dish up some cereal, make mochas by combining hot cocoa and coffee.  There is a window like the one at the NUCC kitchen with a counter so people in the kitchen can see and talk to the people on the other side of the counter.  We chatted with the kids as they came through and the mood seemed pretty happy.  The youth were friendly to us and to each other for the most part.  One of the youth started to play the piano after he was done eating. 
Then something happened...

I was out in the dining room refilling the milk or something and when I came back into the kitchen, I noticed a bowl on the floor with scrambled eggs and cheese spilled out onto the floor. Since Deb and I were the only ones in the kitchen I was a little confused about how these eggs ended up on the kithen floor.  I cleaned up the mess and then overheard one of the guys say "and then I threw my eggs into the kitchen."  I said "you're the one who threw eggs into the kitchen?  Why did you do that?"  Yelling at us, he explained that he was upset because we didn't put out ketchup or tobasco sauce for him to put on his eggs.  I told him that next time, all needs to do is ask for what he needs and we would be happy to do our best to accomodate him.  He was frustrated that he had asked every morning this week and the next morning it was never out.   One of the other youth stood up for me and Deb telling him that it was our first day and to cut us some slack. 

At this point, the supervisor had made her way over and told the young man to come outside with her.  After about 5 minutes, the young man reappeared looking a little embarassed.  He came up to Deb and me and offered a genuine and really sweet apology.  He said he had woken up in a good mood and didn't know what triggered his over the top reaction. 

The rest of the morning went smoothly.  We met some great youth and really enjoyed being able to provide them a  meal before they went back out on the streets for the day. 

I have been carrying the "egg incident" with me all day today.  I can't imagine the stress that the homeless youth feel on a day to day basis.  Spending the day out in the cold and worrying about your safety. One of the young ladies had a tooth abscess that had gotten extremely swollen and without dental insurance, I'm not sure when she will be able to get it looked at.  I am so glad that a place like YEAH! exists where these youth can at least know they have a safe and warm place to sleep, where their pets are welcome, and two meals before they have to face the streets again. 

Gracious God, thank you for the roof above my head, the friends and family who support me and keep me going. I pray for the safety and health of the estimated 1 to 2 million young adults aged 18-24 who experience homelessness each year.  Make your loving presence known to them in times of trouble and stress.  I pray that one day this country will care for its young people and ensure that they have shelter, food and compassionate support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home