Monday, October 05, 2009

What is Spirituality?


One of the classes I am taking this semester is called "Spiritual Disciplines for Leadership".  One of the projects for the class is to develop a "Spiritual Rule of Life".  This rule is intended to serve as a guide for maintaining my spiritual connection to the Holy in my life while in seminary so as to feed my soul and not lose sight of the Divine.

We have defined spirituality in this class as the lived experiences of one's faith.  I have been pondering this project for the last week or two and I have started a list of a few spiritual practices that I would like to maintain while in seminary.  This is a work in progress and I am using this blog post as a little bit of brainstorming.
1. Attend a worship service at least once each week
2. Start each day with 10 minutes prayer and meditation
3. Once a week, engage in some sort of intentional movement - either yoga, praise dance, liturgical dance, or moving meditation.
4. When the weather is nice, spend at least 30 minutes each week sitting in a quiet place outside, just listening to the birds, and the trees.  (This is harder than it sounds in this busy place called Berkeley.)

So that's my list so far.  I am interested to hear what you consider one of your spiritual practices.  What keeps you connected to the spirit?  

Another project I will be starting for this class is a research paper on the spirituality of a spiritual leader.  I need to finalize who my subject will be in the next week or so in order to get started on my research.  I have considered Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Ekhart Tolle and Yvette Flunder.  What suggestions do you have?  Is there someone who's spirituality you admire?

I look forward to reading your comments engaging in some discussion.
With Peace,
Leslie

1 Comments:

At 10/29/09, 12:59 PM, Anonymous dparker said...

Hi Leslie - Finally a few minutes to check on you. Sounds wonderful. Spirituality? Whooee! A name to add to your list: Henri Nouwen. Reading his books provides guideposts on my path. Your 4 items of spiritual practice are great. I agree: find 30' of quiet outside? Tough. See how 20' P&M feels in the morning, and again in the evening, to regain peace. A prayer retreat leader suggests we pray for the 3 things we most urgently need added to our lives, and the 3 to be removed (Julia uses). I repeat a very brief prayer (see 'Hesychastic') during those quiet times to still the committee in my head, especially when they've hired attorneys. Hang in there, remember we care, and keep taking care of yourself. Dave and Julia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home